Sunday, December 6, 2009

Final Day

After volunteering at Greenville Elementary for a few months now I do not want to leave. I am so glad I was able to work with these students and teacher Ms. Oak. Ms. Oak is an excellent example of promoting an empowering classroom. Ira Shor would agree with me that she encourages her students and challenges them. One time in the classroom she was doing a review of adding double digit numbers with single digit numbers and since all of the students seemed excited and knew how to accomplish the worksheets she gave out she encouraged them to finish the rest on their own, and then after they had finished they would correct the work together. She gives her students confidence by giving them compliments when they are doing the right thing. If some students are not paying attention and others are she will say comments like “Mary is paying attention extremely well today”. This grabs the attention of the rest of the seven year olds and they all want to be complimented like Mary, so they pay attention. I am glad I got the opportunity to work with Ms. Oak. My first day I had a different teacher, and was very apprehensive about the experience because she was a tyrant to her students rather than a teacher.

This experience is shaping my teacher identity through both observing Ms. Oak and through my personal struggles and triumphs. At times it is difficult to get students to pay attention. I am realizing I need to be more forceful so that the students know I am an authority because one day two boys were acting up and they just would not listen to me, but when Ms. Oak gave them attention they settled down. The other struggle that I have with the students is that they want to just ask me questions or play with my hair rather than do their work. It is hard to ignore their work and play games with them and let them hug me and play with my hair, but I am their educator not their babysitter.

Every student has their own way of learning. When I am a teacher I am going to figure out how each particular student in my classroom learns and do my best to accommodate them. In the classroom I volunteer in, one boy does not focus on his work. He would rather look around, draw, or do anything besides work, but when someone needs help, he is the first one to help out. He understands the work, he just does not want to do it, but if someone needs helps with it he will help them, so I tell him to finish his work first for me to look at and then he can help other people. He gets excited to be able to help other students and will do his work. It is good to have him in the classroom because many students are constantly asking for help, so since he understands the material and is willing to help other students is encouraging.

I am excited to further my teaching career. Even when there are struggles, it is worth it. I cannot wait to have my own classroom of students to prepare fun lessons for. Ms. Oak prepared a lesson on wind. She made a contraption out of sticks and cups and used a fan to show how wind moves and works. The students had to count how many times the contraption twirled around in a minute. They jumped out of their seats and were so excited and shouted as they counted. It was so fun to watch them get so excited and cannot wait to have that experience in my own classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment